Vortech 203 Router

Thread: Vortech 203 Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vortech 203 Router

Hi, a friend of mine has purchased a "used" vortech router, a 203 model. I understand that it originally came with a g100 controller, was sent back and reconfiged to work straight from pp. This machine was never actually used, the owner never was able to make it work.

My friend got a decent deal on it($1000), or so we thought, I contacted vortech and spoke with keith who sent me an xml to start off with but I dont think I can count on them for any more assistance(very rude).

Ok, I powered up the machine and connected it to the computer via pp, y and z axis work the x doesnt move at all but the motor locks up, our first chore will be to pick up a new Parallel port cable and confirm its integrity. Then I can begin checking down stream for functionality.

The drivers appear to be "cw250"s max voltage 60, max amps 5, they appear to be set at 4 amps, I have no info on the motors except to say they are nema 23s, I havent had a chance to check voltage from the two power supplies in the case yet, I did find a chinglish cheat sheet on the drivers but that appears close to useless.

I have included pics of the drivers, and bob, does anyone recognize this bob?

We have great hopes that one day he will be able to actually use it but it seems to be a ways off at present.

Any and all help/comments welcome, I'm struggling with this.

John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vortech 203 Router-img0066a-jpg   Vortech 203 Router-img0061a-jpg   Vortech 203 Router-img0062a-jpg   Vortech 203 Router-img0064a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You!

I looked all over their site and didnt find the exact parts this has but it was very informative.

Today I took a dvom with me and here is what I found, the little power supply is providing 12v, the big one is providing 28-29 volts(seems rather low to me)

The x and z stepper drivers were incorrectly labled, the x driver is totally fried, the z driver is very weak, but all steppers/axis control pins work when connected to the y driver. (ordered 2 new drivers)

the limit switches appear to be proximity switches, and dont appear to be working just yet, of course I didnt spend a lot of time working on them, I'll get back to them once the machine moves. It appears that the vfd in this thing is 220, so we will be running 220 out to the machine next.

I'm pretty sure I put this thread in the wrong place, if a mod has a better idea for it, please move it.

Thank you

John

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a part number on one of the steppers, after a bit of searching I found these results

57BYGH311-01 CNC Router Stepper Motor
    Configuration:
    Step Angle:1.8degree(+-5%)
    Insulation resistance:500V DC 100MO Min
    Diameter of axis:8mm
    Phase:2 Phase
    Current: 3A
    Resistance: 1.1ohm
    Inductance: 1.1mH
    Maximum static torque: 15 (Kg.cm)
    Net Weight: 1.1KG
    Body Length: 81mm
    Shaft Length: 24mm
    Wiring: red A; Green C; yellow B Blue D

even the wire colors match to ours but this shows them as being 3 amp motors but the drivers are configured to run them at 4 amps. Next time I get over to the machine I'll put a temp sensor on one of the motors and see whats up. I will be installing a new driver when it gets in and I want to get it right, I'd hate to have to change the motors, they look like a pain to change.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Made some more progress today, new driver came in to replace x driver, installed it only to continue to have problems with it. I have been working under the machine as they didnt make the cables long enough to get it out moved it around to check some connections only to have all axis come online at that time This machine is a mess of loose/poor connecitons. got x and z axis homing switches(proximity sensors) working. Y axis sensor appears to function, red light comes on when I move it close to the point its supposed to sense but the computer doesnt get the signal guess I'll be chasing the wiring for days.

I sure wish someone knew something about these machines.

I ran a sample gcode thru it(one from my machine at home) it runs jerkily, almost like it was in full stop mode but its not, its running the same settings as my machine at home yet jerks the gantry really hard.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Spent some more time with the machine today, since the lables on the new drive are in english I was able to ascertain that the drivers are set to run the steppers at 2.5 amps not the 4 amps I originally thought they were set to. I may need to up that as the machine wont move at the specified rapid speeds originally specified for this machine. The break out board in the controllers seems to have space for all the inputs and outpus but they didnt populate the board fully so they are missing optos and resisters for the unused pins. I really wanted to add a probe and maybe a 4th axis so I'll either have to populate it or replace it with one that is already populated, does anyone have a suggestion for a good breakout board?

Still need to add another 220 outlet at the machine for the water pump for the spindle, once thats installed I'll be ready to try cutting wood with it.

John